Why Choose UW?
Our residents benefit from a forward-focused, 4-year-style curriculum rolled into a 3-year training program, replete with opportunities to lead resuscitations of acutely ill and injured patients across the breadth of emergency medicine practice environments. Augmenting the excellent clinical training they receive, our residents are part of a diverse team whose #1 focus is on resident education, well-being, and career readiness.
“I left my interview day feeling like the leadership at UW were constantly looking for ways to meaningfully improve the program and they were truly invested in their residents’ success both as physicians and as humans outside of work.” – Adam Brown, MD, MS, Class of 2026
More than just exceptional clinical training
• Focused mentorship and coaching
• Extensive elective time
• Regular EPA-based feedback
• Individualized pathways for career exploration
• Longitudinal practice in quality & patient safety
• Advanced training through our 3+1 program model
A forward focused leader in emergency care education and research
• Internationally recognized Med Flight helicopter EMS
• Top 15 in the nation for NIH EM research funding
• National leaders in bedside ultrasound
• Well-established global health partnerships
• Accredited EMS & Critical Care Anesthesia fellowships
An all-around great place to live and work
• #1 city for work-life balance
• #1 college sports town in America
• #4 in top U.S. states for physicians
• Top 15 in best places to live for families
• Progressive academic and cultural environments
• Recognized Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality
Competitive stipends and benefits package, with six weeks of paid parental leave.
Resident travel scholarships for national conferences and global health experiences.
Invested in advancing health equity and nurturing a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace.
“I chose this program because I knew it was a place where I would have the opportunity and resources to succeed in learning how to become a great practicing physician. The respectful, equitable, and high-caliber educational environment permeates throughout the entire organization and is very rarely matched anywhere else.”
— Matthew Kaili, MD, MS, Class of 2026
The Wisconsin Difference
We support residents from day one to 1095 and beyond.
Meet our team of expert emergency medicine faculty and knowledgeable education staff.
Interested residents have the option to complete a capstone year of protected niche training after graduation.
Building Community & Diversity
We share UW–Madison’s commitment to creating a community where every person feels welcome, valued, and able to succeed. Beyond this, we view diversity and equitable inclusion as inextricably linked to our goals as health care leaders and understand the critical work of disrupting cycles of structural and systemic discrimination and exclusion to achieve these goals.
"Any work environment lives and dies on the quality of the people around you. No matter where you are in the hospital, on-service or off, everyone at UW is incredibly smart, supportive, and fun to work with. It's hard to ask for more than that."— Tad Schmitt, MD, Class of 2022, former chief resident